12.23.2012

Micelli - A Very Micelli Christmas




Saturday December 22, 2012. Down `pon the Island marked the release of A Very Micelli Christmas, a D.I.Y. CDR release by Edmonton's favourite Folk/Punk band. I'm sure eventually it will be up on their bandcamp site for a pay-what-you-may/free or something plan. What you do get on this little EP is five very amazing renditions of Holiday favourites.

Let's run through the track listing.

1.Little Drummer Boy
I'll be honest with you, it's not the holiday classic that Bing Crosby/David Bowie recorded, but it is full of passion and love, and makes you feel like you're sitting around the living room fire pit with your best friends, enjoying a glass of `nog or three.

2.Little Toy Trains
Quite possibly my new favourite rendition of this song, not quite the soft spoken holiday classic that you know, but filled with life. I'll be listening to this on Christmas eve before bed awaiting Santa instead of tracking down the old vinyl version that I grew up doing this ritual with.

3.A Christmas Song
Although I'm personally not familiar with the original version of this tune, I certainly don't feel like it could hold a candle to this "Ballad-esq" Micelli version. My only complain is that Jerm's vocals could have been mixed a little louder, as I find they get lost in the mix from time to time.

4.Do You Hear What I Hear?
Quite possibly a new holiday classic, well a new rendition of an old holiday classic. The way that Cody and Jeremy holler out asking if we've heard the news of the baby Jesus being born in Bethlehem, make you really want to know the tale, you can feel the electricity and change in the air.

5.O' Holy Night
As I pour my third cup of `nog & mix, okay it's pretty much just rum at this point in time, the cable TV fire log on in the background, and the twinkle of Christmas lights bouncing off of everything in the room. The sound of Micelli telling us the tale of the birth of the small child in a manger filling up the little space between the crackles of the fire log. It feels like Christmas, and this song really makes you feel it down in to your bones.

I like this little EP, and I can certainly see it getting a lot of play over the holiday season.


---47--
MICELLI
Facebook
Bandcamp
A Very Micelli Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment